Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Lemon bars with icing
- 2 cups (252 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz (228 grams) unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups (294 grams) granulated sugar (castor sugar)
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons (31 grams) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9 inch metal pan with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, powdered sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse to mix. Add the butter and pulse until mixture is coarse and crumbly. Measure out 1 cup of crumbs and set aside.
- Pour remaining crumbs into prepared pan and press them down slightly (they’ll be very dry). Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the filling. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl. Whisk in sugar, lemon juice, 4 tablespoons of flour and baking powder. Spread over top of baked crust. Sprinkle reserved cup of crumbs over top. Bake on center rack for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely. Lift from pan and set on a cutting board. Drizzle cooled bars with glazed (below). Let the glaze set then cut into 36 bars (or however many you want).
- To make the icing, melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Add the sugar and stir until thick and pasty. Add the lemon juice 1 teaspoon at a time and stir until smooth and a drizzling consistency. You may drizzle it onto the squares or put it in a bag, snip off the corner and pipe it on.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2011/04/iced-lemon-bars/