|Sesame Crunch Whipped Cream Pound Cake |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Sesame Crunch Whipped Cream Pound Cake
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup (divided use) granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 11/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons (7.2 oz) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray an 8x4 inch loaf pan with flour-added cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan or skillet, combine the sesame seeds and butter and cook over medium, stirring often, until sesame seeds are aromatic and just starting to brown. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a mixer (I used the stand mixer) beat the egg whites until foamy. Gradually add ½ cup of the sugar and continue beating until whites are stiff. Scrape egg whites into another bowl and use the stand mixer bowl for the next step.
- Add the 1 cup of cream and remaining ½ cup of sugar and beat for about 4 minutes or until thickened. Beat in the vanilla. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the baking powder, salt and flour. At this point, the batter is pretty thick. Fold about 1/3 of the beaten egg white into the batter to lighten it, then fold in the rest, doing your best to keep the batter airy. It’s a thick batter, so this is tricky. Stir in the toasted sesame seeds.
- Bake on center rack for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool completely. Cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
- Make the glaze. Combine all glaze ingredients and beat until smooth, adding the cream as needed.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2011/05/sesame-crunch-whipped-cream-pound-cake/