Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Marshmallow topped brownies with a graham cracker crust
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (4 ounces)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups (approximately) marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with nonstick foil.
- Crust: Mix the graham cracker crumbs with the sugar, melted butter and salt (if using). Press into bottom of pan and bake for 6 minutes.
- Brownies: Melt the chocolate and butter together in the microwave, a double boiler or heavy saucepan set over low heat. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar and vanilla together in a mixing bowl.
- Stir the slightly cooled chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, then stir in the salt and baking powder. Add flour and stir until well blended.
- Pour the brownie mixture over the graham crust, then return to oven and bake for 22-26 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle marshmallows over top in one generous layer.
- Adjust oven rack so that brownies are about 6 inches from broiler element, then set brownies under broiler (set on high) for 1 minute or until golden. Keep a close eye, because marshmallows brown quickly!
- Let cool on a rack. When cool, chill. Lift from pan and cut into squares. For a cleaner cut, freeze before slicing.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2007/12/smores-brownies/