|Whole Wheat and Barley Rangers |
Author: Cooke Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 14 mins
Total time: 24 mins
Whole Wheat Barley Ranger cookies made better with a little barley flour and whole wheat flour.
- 3/4 cups Hodgson Millwhole wheat pastry flour (3.5 oz)
- 1/2 cup barley flour (1 oz)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus an extra tiny pinch
- 1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, cool room temperature
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup old fashion oatmeal
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Have ready two ungreased baking sheets.
- Mix the whole wheat pastry flour, barley flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium size bowl.
- In a mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat the cool butter until it is creamy. Add the sugar and beat until creamy. Add the vanilla, then add the egg and beat just until it is blended in. By hand or using lowest speed of the mixer, add the flour and stir until blended. Add the oats, coconut and Rice Krispies and stir until blended.
- Using a heaping tablespoon (which is actually about 2 level tablespoons and weighed a little over an ounce), scoop up the dough and shape into balls. Press the balls slightly to make circles and arrange about 2 ½ inches apart on the ungreased baking sheets. Alternatively, you can just shape the dough, flatten it into circles, then chill until ready to use or freeze and bake as needed.
- Bake the cookies one sheet at a time for 13-15 minutes (watch closely after 12 minutes). Let cool on baking sheet for about 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2011/09/whole-wheat-and-barley-rangers/