|Whole Wheat Pumpkin Maple Spice Muffins |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 16 mins
Total time: 26 mins
Muffin with flavors of maple and pumpkin.
- 2 cups (9 oz) all-purpose or white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons melted salted butter or a stick of I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose or white whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter or from an ICBINB stick
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 16 muffin cups with flour-added baking spray or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Stir well, then stir in the brown sugar.
- In a second bowl, combine the buttermilk, butter, syrup, pumpkin, egg and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed (don't over-beat).
- Fill muffin cups two-thirds full. For topping, combine the flour, sugar, nuts and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2011/10/whole-wheat-pumpkin-maple-spice-muffins/