|Double Chocolate Chip Cookies |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 14 mins
Total time: 24 mins
Double chocolate cookie with a hint of chocolate extract.
- 1 cup (4.5 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (seems like a lot, but it worked)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Hershey’s Dark (Dutch) cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon chocolate extract
- 1 1/3 cup extra dark or dark chocolate chips (good quality)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready two ungreased baking sheets.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, shortening, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Using a electric mixer, beat the mixture until it’s smooth. Add the egg, vanilla and chocolate extract and continue to beat on medium speed until well blended. Add the flour mixture. Stir until the flour is almost mixed in. Pour in the chips and stir until completely blended.
- Using a packed tablespoon, drop the batter into mounts on the baking sheets spacing mounds about 2 inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time one center rack for 12-14 minutes or until cookies appear set. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet for about 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Makes about 27 cookies
For traditional chocolate chip cookies, leave out the cocoa powder and the chocolate extract.
These would also be great with peanut butter chips, mint chips or broken Oreo cookies. M&Ms would also be good.
Use your favorite chocolate chips because these cookies are packed with them! Also, if you try these with chopped regular chocolate, watch out for spreading. I've only tested these with chips.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2011/11/double-chocolate-chip-cookies/