|Small Batch Gingerbread Scones |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
An easy small batch scone recipe for scones that taste like gingerbread.
- 1 cup (4.5 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, double acting
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 scant teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut up
- 2 tablespoons very tightly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons mild molasses
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg, lightly beaten in a separate bowl
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1-3 tablespoons milk (or as needed) to make drizzling consistency
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Have ready an ungreased baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Mix very well, then cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. You can do this with a pastry cutter or your fingers. Add the sugar and stir well.
- In a small bowl, combine the molasses, sour cream, milk, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of the egg. Whisk until smooth, then add to the flour mixture and stir just until mixed and you have a soft dough – don’t over work it. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a rectangle about 6x3 inches. Cut that rectangle into two squares, and then cut squares diagonally to make 4 rectangles. Arrange a few inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining egg.
- Bake at 400F for 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare icing. Mix the butter and powdered sugar together until well blended, then add milk ½ tablespoons at a time, stirring well, until icing is thick enough to drizzle. Add the vanilla. Spoon the icing over the scones.
Dough can be made a day ahead and baked the next morning.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2011/11/small-batch-gingerbread-scones/