|Bouchon Bakery Nutter Butters |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 14 mins
Total time: 29 mins
HALF BATCH BOUCHON BAKERY'S 'NUTTER BUTTERS
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) regular salted butter, at room temperature**
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter, preferably Skippy
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped peanuts
- 1 1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter, preferably Skippy
- 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar plus a tiny bit more if needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare Dough:
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and baking soda; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and peanut butter. Add sugars and beat at medium speed for 3-4 minutes, scraping down bowl twice.
- At low speed, add egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir until well mixed, frequently scraping down bowl. Add peanuts (if using) and oats, and mix well. Using an ice cream scoop 2 inches in diameter or an extremely heaping tablespoon, place balls of dough on parchment-lined baking sheets at least three inches apart.
- Bake until cookies have spread and turned very light golden brown, about 10-14 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool and firm up, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely before filling.
- TO PREPARE THE FILLING:
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, peanut butter and confectioners' sugar until very smooth.
- TO ASSEMBLE COOKIES:
- Spread a thin layer (about 1/8 inch) on underside of a cookie. Sandwich with another cookie. Repeat.
- Makes 12 large cookies
Adapted from Frank Bruni in the New York Times, December 27, 2006
The recipe doesn't call for added salt, so I think these would be best with salted butter. If you use unsalted, you might want to add 1/2 teaspoon to the dough
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2008/02/bouchon-bakery-nutter-butters/