Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
Total time: 1 hour 10 mins
Popcorn coated in melted Red Hot candies.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter plus extra for pan
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Red Hots
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 to 8 cups (I used 6) popped microwave popcorn
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Butter a large roasting pan.
- In a small saucepan, I used a non-stick type, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sugar, corn syrup and red hots and continue stirring until the red hots are melted. Once they're fully melted, insert a candy thermometer and continue heating for 3 minutes or until the candy reaches hard ball stage. Remove from heat and immediately add baking soda. Pour over the popcorn, then empty into the roasting pan.
- Bake at 250 for 1 hour, stirring every 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely. Break into pieces.
If you have some cinnamon oil, add a few drops after you add the baking soda.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/01/red-hot-cinnamon-popcorn/