|Mocha Mousse Angel Food Cake with Chocolate Whipped Cream |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 hours
Total time: 5 hours 10 mins
An easy dessert made with angel food cake and mocha mousse
- 1 box Duncan Hines Signature Angel Food Cake or one pre-made Angel Food Cake of any kind
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee or 2 packets Folgers or Starbuck’s instant (the type in the little tubes)
- 7 ounce jar marshmallow crème
- 8 oz tub regular or light Cool Whip or 1 cup whipping cream, whipped and sweetened lightly with 3T. conf. sugar and ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder (or your favorite)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 packet of Folgers or Starbucks instant coffee (use 2 if you like)
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 2 cups chilled whipping cream
- Prepare the angel food cake as directed on the package. Let cool. With a serrated knife, cut it into three even layers.
- Prepare mousse. Put boiling water in a mixing bowl. Add the coffee and stir to dissolve. Add the marshmallow crème and beat on low until blended and smooth. Fold in the whipped topping.
- Line a 9 inch round springform pan with foil and place the first layer of your angel food cake in the pan. You may have to squish it in a bit. Spread about 1/2 of the mocha mousse over the cake. Top with second layer of cake. Add remaining mocha mousse. Top with remaining layer of angel food cake. Put plastic wrap over the cake and put the whole thing in the freeze for about 3 hours or until frozen.
- As soon as you put the cake in the freezer, go ahead and start preparing the chocolate whipped cream since the chocolate mixture requires some chill time too.
- Whisk sugar, cocoa powder, milk, coffee powder and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 1 hour or up to 4.
- Set the stand mixer bowl back on the mixer and with the whisk attachment, beat on medium, gradually adding the cream. Continue beating, increasing speed slightly, until stiff peaks begin form -- be careful not to overdo it.
- Remove frozen cake from freezer and unlatch sides of pan. Peel away foil and set frozen cake on a cake tray. Spread chocolate whipped cream over entire cake. You’ll have plenty of chocolate whipped cream and possible even a little left over. Store cake in the refrigerator.
Want to try putting chocolate wafers, graham crackers or layers of chocolate cake between mousse and cake.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/03/mocha-mousse-angel-food-cake-with-chocolate-whipped-cream/