Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
The best scratch yellow cupcakes.
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk or regular milk mixed with lemon juice**
- 3 cups (12 ounces) cake flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line about 30 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Whisk the eggs, yolks, vanilla and ¼ cup of the milk together in a small bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, and mix on low for about 30 seconds. Add the butter and the remaining 1 cup of milk to the flour mixture and with the mixer on low, blend together. Raise the mixer speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- With the mixer still on medium, add the egg mixture in 3 additions, scraping down the side of the bowl and mixing only until thoroughly incorporated. Divide the batter among the cups filling them about 2/3 of the way full. Make sure not to use too much or you’ll get big rims.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until cupcakes are brown around the edges and spring back when touched.
If using milk and lemon juice, use 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons of milk and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/04/the-best-yellow-cupcakes/