|Spice Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Spice cake cupcakes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk (divided use)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups (9 ounces) cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, cold
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 oz unsalted or salted butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together eggs, 1/3 cup of buttermilk and vanilla.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, mix together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Mix well, then stir in both sugars. Add the softened butter and mix on low speed until it’s mashed into the dry mixture, then add the remaining 2/3 of buttermilk and beat until smooth.
- With mixer on medium, add the egg mixture in three parts, being careful not to beat in a lot of extra air and scraping the side of the bowl after every addition.
- Divide the batter among the cupcake liners. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until tops are brown.
- Frosting: In a mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form and set aside. In a second bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and lemon juice until creamy. Stir the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Frost the cupcakes.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/04/spice-cupcakes-with-whipped-cream-cheese-frosting/