Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
The best M&M bar recipe ever!
- 1 cup plus 6 tablespoons (6.2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (slightly rounded)
- 1 large egg plus 2 generous tablespoons lightly beaten egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 slightly rounded tablespoon regular sour cream
- 1 cup M&Ms or M&Ms and dark chocolate chip mixed to make 1 cup.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with nonstick foil or parchment.
- Sift or just stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Combine the butter and shortening in a mixing bowl and beat with a handheld mixer until creamy. Scrape sides of the bowl. Add both sugars; beat on low, then on medium speed for about until light and fluffy.
- In a second bowl, mix together the eggs, vanilla and sour cream. With mixer on low or by hand, gradually add the egg mixture to batter in three parts.
- Stir in the flour mixture, followed by the M&Ms. Transfer the dough to the pan, patting it in evenly and smoothing the surface. Bake for 22 minutes uncovered (at which point it should brown, but a little jiggly in the center), then lay a sheet of foil loosely over the top and with a sheet of foil and bake for about 4 more minutes or until middle no longer jiggles.
- Cool for 1 hour at room temperature, then transfer to the refrigerator and finish cooling in the refrigerator. Lift from pan, set on a cutting board, cut into 16 squares.
Coordinate the colors and match them to an event.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/04/favorite-mm-bars/