|Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies -- Small Batch |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 12 mins
Total time: 22 mins
Classic Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from KA)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, unsalted, room temp
- 4 tablespoons shortening (butter flavored or regular are okay)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, very firmly packed -- mixture of light and dark
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider or white vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons lightly beaten egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup King Arthur all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chips
- Some toasted pecans (handful, optional)**
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready an ungreased cookie sheet.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter, shortening and both sugars until light and fluffy; Beat in vanilla, salt and vinegar, scrape sides of bowl and beat in egg. When egg is well mixed, add baking soda and beat so that it is well distributed; Stir in the flour, being careful not to over-beat. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts (if using)
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheets. Bake for 10-14 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Makes about 24
To add even more flavor, toast the nuts as usual (about 6 to 8 minutes) and toss the hot nuts with about a teaspoon or so of butter. Sprinkle with a little sea salt. Let cool. Chop and add to the cookies.
You can use any brand of flour, but King Arthur's works especially well for crunchy cookies.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2008/04/crunchy-chocolate-chip-cookies-small-batch/