|Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies -- Small Batch |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 12 mins
Total time: 22 mins
Classic Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from KA)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, unsalted, room temp (56 grams)
- 4 tablespoons shortening (butter flavored or regular are okay) (48 grams)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, very firmly packed -- mixture of light and dark (110 grams)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (48 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider or white vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons lightly beaten egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup King Arthur all-purpose flour* (128 grams)
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chips
- Some toasted pecans (handful, optional)**
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready an ungreased cookie sheet.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter, shortening and both sugars until light and fluffy; Beat in vanilla, salt and vinegar, scrape sides of bowl and beat in egg. When egg is well mixed, add baking soda and beat so that it is well distributed; Stir in the flour, being careful not to over-beat. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts (if using)
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheets. Bake for 10-14 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
To add even more flavor, toast the nuts as usual (about 6 to 8 minutes) and toss the hot nuts with about a teaspoon or so of butter. Sprinkle with a little sea salt. Let cool. Chop and add to the cookies.
You can use any brand of flour, but King Arthur's works especially well for crunchy cookies.
VARIATION: For miniature size cookies, divide the dough into 22 pieces (by spooning tablespoons), then divide each of those pieces into 3 sections and roll into little marble size balls. Bake the cookies at 300 for 15 to 18 minutes. Baking at 300 will help them dry out and crisp up before the edges burn.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2008/04/crunchy-chocolate-chip-cookies-small-batch/