|Oreo Stack Brownies (Cream Cheese Version) |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 200 mins
Total time: 3 hours 40 mins
A fudge brownie layered with cheesecake and Oreos and topped with an Oreo frosting.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 ounce melted white chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 3 Double Stuff Oreos
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (half Dutch, half natural)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cold large eggs
- 1/2 cup (2.3 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (or use 4 shortening, 4 butter)
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Tiny pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 5 Double Stuff Oreos
- 1/2 generous cup extra dark or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 scant cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with nonstick foil.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the melted white chocolate and vanilla, then gently stir in the egg white and cream. Chop up the Double Stuff Oreos and add to cream cheese mixture. Set aside.
- Make the brownie batter. Melt the butter in a 2 or 3 quart nonstick saucepan. Stir in the sugar and the cocoa powder. Reduce heat to low and stir gently for about 30 seconds to warm the sugar. Turn off the heat and let the sugar mixture sit for 5 minutes. Stir in the salt and vanilla. Add the cold eggs, whisking or stirring just until mixed, then mix the flour and baking powder together in a little cup and stir them into the batter. Spread about half the batter evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Spread the filling over the batter by dropping it on in little dollops and gently spreading. Drop dollops of remaining brownie batter over the filling, spreading gently to cover. It’s okay if you miss a few spots because the top will be covered with frosting.
- Pour into the pan and bake for 25 minutes or until brownies appear set. Let cool completely in the pan. When cool, transfer to the refrigerator to chill.
- Make frosting. Beat the butter until creamy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, scraping sides and beating until smooth. Beat in vanilla and salt. Slowly beat in the whipping cream beating and scraping until you have a smooth vanilla frosting. On a cutting board, chop Double Stuff and stir them into the frosting, “stuff” and all.
- Lift the cold brownie from the pan and peel away the foil. Spread frosting on top.
- Make the ganache. In a microwave safe bowl or large Pyrex measuring cup, combine chocolate chips and cream. Microwave at 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth, then transfer to a heavy duty zipper bag. Cut a tiny hole in the corner of the bag and squeeze lines of ganache over the cold bars. Break up remaining Double Stuff and press them into the top for garnish. Return to the refrigerator to set the ganache. Store in the refrigerator.
Cook time is not really 200 minutes, but I included chill time.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/05/oreo-stack-brownie-better/