Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 28 mins
Total time: 38 mins
Chunky granola with lots of nuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups oats, old fashioned type
- 1/4 cup pepitas or sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup mixed nuts, or MORE
- 1 tablespoon egg white, beaten lightly with a fork
- 1/2 cup dried fruit of your choice
- Preheat oven to 300 F and line a large heavy baking sheet with nonstick foil.
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter over medium until it melts. Reduce heat to low and stir in oil, sugar, maple syrup, honey and salt. Cook over low just until brown sugar melts. Remove from heat. Let cool slightly, then stir in the vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the oats, seeds, coconut and nuts.
- Pour the egg white over the oat mixture and stir well, then pour the sugar mixture over the oat mixture and stir thoroughly until mixed.
- Spread the mixture over the bottom of the lined baking sheet to make thin slab. It should be all squished together, as if you were making bars.
- Bake at 300F for 25-30 minutes (might take a bit longer depending on your oven -- go by color and smell) or just until lightly browned, Remove from the oven. It should be warm, slightly browned and chewy, but will crisp as it cools. Let cool completely. Break into chunks and stir in the fruit.
I make my granola in small batches because I'm always trying new recipes. If you double this and bake it on two different oven racks, you might have to adjust the timing. One recommendation, should you decide to double, is to make it all at once, then bake one sheet at a time. That will also give you a chance to gauge the correct time since ovens are always different.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/05/extra-chunky-granola/