Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Granola with a tropical theme.
- 1 2/3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup flour, all-purpose, whole wheat or Ultragrain
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds, or try quinoa or sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons golden flax
- 1/4 cup non-fat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened or unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus an extra pinch
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts or your favorite nut
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup dried banana chips
- 3/4 cup chopped dried tropical fruit (from bulk bin)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour, hemp seeds, flax, dry milk, coconut, and salt. Stir well, and then add the walnuts.
- In a microwave-safe glass measuring cup or bowl, mix the coconut oil, honey, brown sugar and water. Heat for about 30 seconds or just until mixture boils. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t boil over. Stir well, then stir in vanilla. Pour over oat mixture and stir until very well mixed. Stir in the banana chips. Empty onto baking sheet and spread it evenly across.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 45 to 53 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. It will crisp as it cools. Add chopped dried fruit. Makes about 4 cups.
For the dried fruit, I buy pre-mixed combinations of mango, pineapple, papaya and dates, then chop the fruit.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/05/tropical-granola-for-gift-giving/