Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 24 mins
Total time: 34 mins
Scones made with ground oats, barley flour and granola
- 1 cup ground oats (oat flour)
- 1 cup barley flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus an extra pinch
- 1/4 cup evaporated cane juice crystals or a less refined granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup loose/small bits granola, crushed lightly if clumped
- 2 tablespoons hempseeds (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or soy or coconut)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup extra dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, granola, and hempseeds (if using).
- In a second bowl, mix the flaxseed and milk and stir very well.
- Stir in the coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredient and stir until blended, then stir in the chips. The batter starts out loose, but as it sits the oats absorb the moisture and it is very easy to work with.
- Shape the dough into 6 balls and space them evenly on the baking sheet. Press down the tops so that they are mounds rather than balls.
- Bake at 350 for 22-25 minutes or until edges are brown. Let cool and serve.
Swap out the oats for 1/4 cup sunflower seeds and 1/2 cup toasted and chopped nuts
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/06/not-so-squirrely-scones/