|Zingerman's Brownie Clone |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Brownies like the ones from Zingerman's in Michigan
- 13 tablespoons (190 grams) unsalted butter
- 6.5 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour or 1 1/3 cups all purpose (6 oz/180 grams)**
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar (380 grams)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup coarse chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 13×9 inch metal pan with foil. Grease the bottom only.
- In a heavy small saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. When halfway melted, reduce heat to low and add chocolate; stir until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt onto a sheet of paper or into a bowl.
- Beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or until light yellow and fluffy, scraping side of the bowl occasionally. Add warm chocolate mixture and vanilla to egg mixture. Beat on low speed until combined. Add flour mixture; beat on low speed or stir by hand until combined, scraping sides of bowl. Stir in nuts (if using)
- Spread batter in pan. Bake 30 minutes or until brownies appear set. Cool in pan on wire rack; cut into bars.
- To freeze, let cool completely, wrap tightly in foil without cutting. Freeze until needed.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2008/04/dont-cry-for-me-argentina-im-making-brownies/