|Chocolate Chip Cookies With Molasses |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
An old chocolate chip cookie recipe that calls for a little molasses in addition to the usual brown sugar.
- 3 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, aerate and stir before measuring
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter -- (2 sticks) softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 c molasses
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips -- (one 12-ounce bag)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until thoroughly combined. Beat in the eggs, molasses and vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice as necessary. Stir in the flour mixture until just incorporated. Then stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Place the bowl in the refrigerator and allow the dough to chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat pads.
- Drop heaping tablespoons or No. 40 ice-cream scoops of the dough 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets, flattening them slightly by hand. (Balls of dough may be placed next to each other on parchment-lined baking sheet, frozen, transferred to zipper-lock plastic bags, and stored in the freezer for up to 1 month. Place frozen cookies on prepared sheets as above, and defrost on the counter for 30 minutes before baking.)
- Bake until just light golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool the cookies for 5 minutes on the baking sheets before using a metal spatula to transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. Chocolate Chip Cookies will keep in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2006/07/chocolate-chip-cookies-with-molasses/