Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 55 mins
A scratch strawberry layer cake with cream cheese icing.
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted after measuring
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (omit 1/2 tsp if using salted butter)
- 2 tablespoons strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup frozen strawberries, thawed and pureed (measure first)
- 1/4 cup room temperature milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon red food coloring or red gel as needed
- 1 1/2 - packages (12 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, softened plus a pinch of salt (or use salted)
- 6 cups (24 oz) confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray three 9-inch round layer pans with flour-added cooking spray and line bottoms with rounds of parchment paper (the cake is sticky!).
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy. Gradually add oil and mix well, then gradually add sugar, beating until very light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt and gelatin powder. Set aside.
- Combine pureed strawberries, milk, vanilla extract and red food coloring.
- Reduce speed on mixer to a low setting and stir flour mixture and milk mixture alternately into the batter, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Divide batter evenly among pans and bake 30-35 minutes or until tops spring back if lightly pressed in their centers. Cool layers in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto racks to completely cool before frosting.
- Frosting: Beat cream cheese with butter until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar on a medium speed setting until light and fluffy. Blend in vanilla extract and continue beating until frosting has a satiny appearance. Spread generously between layers and over the sides and top of the cake.
This recipe is based on a recipe from Domino sugar.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2008/05/strawberry-layer-cake/