Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Mini ginger muffins
- 1 3/4 cups (8 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus a pinch (omit if using salted butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup full flavored molasses
- 1/2 tablespoon hot water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk mixed with lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 36 hole mini muffin pan with cooking spray. Most pans have 24 holes, so you can bake 24 first and then bake 12 later or spray two pans.
- Mix the flour, ginger and nutmeg together and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter, salt and sugar until creamy. Beat in the vanilla, then beat in the eggs.
- In a liquid measuring cup, mix the molasses, water and buttermilk. Now add the baking soda and stir well – the liquid mixture should foam a little bit and lighten as the baking soda reacts. It might take a minute or two.
- With a heavy duty spatula or mixing spoon, add the flour mixture and milk mixture to the batter alternately, stirring until blended. Pour or spoon batter into muffin cups (it should come a little over halfway full) and bake at 375 F for 8 to 10 minute or until muffins are set and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
The yield may vary depending on the size of your mini muffin pan. If you make as regular size muffins, you'll need to increase the baking time to about 18 minutes.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/07/mini-ginger-muffins/