Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Hummingbird Cake is a three layer cake made with bananas, pineapple, and nuts.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups chopped bananas
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 8 tablespoons butter (unsalted, softened)
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch or two of salt – omit if using regular salted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 3 9-inch round cake pans with flour-added cooking spray or rub with shortening and dust with flour.
- Stir flour, soda, salt, sugar and cinnamon together in a large mixing bowl; add eggs, oil and vanilla, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not beat.) Stir in pineapple, pecans, and bananas.
- Pour batter into cake pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Prepare cream cheese frosting. Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until light and fluffy - taste after adding 2 cups. Add more sugar if you prefer it to be sweeter. Beat in vanilla. Add a pinch of salt if using unsalted butter.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake; sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top. Store in refrigerator.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2008/05/hummingbird-cake/