Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 22 mins
Total time: 32 mins
An easy bar cookie made with butterscotch chips, cereal and oats
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 cup very firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or 1/4 if using salted butter
- 1 cup (4.5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats, not instant
- 1 1/4 cup rice cereal (Krispies)
- 1 cup chopped and toasted walnuts nuts
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9 inch pan with foil and spray foil with cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a microwave-safe mixing bowl. When melted, add the brown sugar to the hot butter and stir well. Stir in the granulated sugar, honey, vanilla and egg just until mixed. Beat in the baking powder and salt; stir in the flour. When well mixed, stir in the oats, cereal, nuts and butterscotch chips.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until bars appear set. Let cool completely in the pan, then lift from pan and cut into bars
You can use chocolate chips instead of butterscotch chips. For a half batch, use an 8 inch square pan and cut all the ingredients in half. For the egg, that means using 2 tablespoons lightly beaten. The time should be reduced to about 18 to 20 minutes. To toast the nuts, just lay them on a baking sheet and bake at 350F for about 6 to 8 minutes or until aromatic.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/07/butterscotch-walnut-and-oat-bars/