|Peanut Butter Topped Chocolate Brownies |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Brownies topped with a layer of peanut butter and a layer of chocolate
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large, cold eggs
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (2.2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter plus a little more**
- 1-1/4 cup *sifted* powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 ounces chopped milk or dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square metal baking pan with nonstick foil or line with regular foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, add the chopped chocolate and stir until smooth, then remove from heat and stir in the sugar. Let the mixture cool for about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one by one, stirring just until mixed, then stir in the coffee and the teaspoon of vanilla. Stir in the salt and when well mixed, stir in the flour. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool until they are just slightly warm. However, while the brownies are still hot, put a few teaspoons of peanut butter on top and let it soften from the heat. When the brownies have cooled slightly but are still warm, spread the softened peanut butter in a very thin layer. This is to help the second layer stick better.
- Mix peanut butter and 2 tablespoons butter. Add sifted powdered sugar and vanilla; mix until it's smooth. It will be thick and dough-like. Feel free to add more peanut butter if desired. Place mixture between 2 sheets of parchment, wax paper or foil and press into an 8 inch square.
- Lift the slightly warm brownies from the pan by grasping foil. Peel foil/parchment away from one side of the peanut butter and turn it onto the brownies. Pull off the other piece of paper. Let cool.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave using 50% power and spread over top. Allow the chocolate to set, but before it gets very firm, go ahead and score it. Chill until firm, about one hour. Trim the edges , then cut into 12 or 16 squares.
The 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of peanut butter gets mixed with the sugar, etc. for the topping. You'll use a little more peanut butter to make a sticky layer that helps adhere the peanut butter/sugar layer to the brownies.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/07/peanut-butter-topped-chocolate-brownies/