|Happy Birthday Julia Child |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 28 mins
Total time: 43 mins
A brownie recipe for Julia Child's birthday
- 1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour (5 oz/145 grams) -- measure after sifting
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces (228 grams) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces (114 grams) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces (56 grams) bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups (380 grams) sugar (divided use)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Line a 9 inch square pan with foil.
- Stir the sifted flour and salt together in a small bowl; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan set over medium-low heat. When melted, reduce heat to low and add chopped chocolate, stirring often until it melts. Add only 1 cup of the sugar to the mixture and stir for about half a minute. Remove pan from heat and pour into a mixing bowl. Stir in the vanilla.
- Whisk the remaining 1 cup sugar and the eggs in a second bowl. Whisk only until combined – don’t over-beat. Gradually pour ONLY half of the sugar/egg mixture into the chocolate mixture, stirring gently so that eggs don’t set from the heat of the chocolate mixture.
- Using a hand-held mixer, beat the REMAINING sugar/egg mixture on high speed until it becomes pale and thick (it should double in volume).
- Carefully fold the whipped egg mixture into the chocolate mixture. Fold in the dry ingredients.
- Scrape the batter into the 9 inch square pan and bake on center rack for 25 to 28 minutes. Mine are usually done in 28 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool completely, then lift from the pan and cut.
I like to chill my brownies thoroughly before slicing.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/08/happy-birthday-julia-child/