Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 300 mins
Total time: 5 hours 10 mins
Key lime pie with whipped egg whites folded into the batter
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (use 12 graham rectangles)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large eggs (you’ll be using 4 yolks and 2 whites)
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh or bottled Key lime juice (Nellie & Jack’s)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and have ready a 9 inch pie dish.
- Process the graham crackers to make 1 ½ cup crumbs. In a food processor (or bowl) mix graham crackers, sugar, cinnamon and butter. Press mixture into and up the sides of the 9 inch pie dish.
- Bake on center rack at 350 for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for about 30 minutes.
- Make the filling. Separate the eggs so that you have 4 yolks and 4 whites , but put aside 2 of the whites because you’ll only be using 2.
- Beat the 2 whites until stiff peaks form.
- Pour the condensed milk into a mixing bowl. Whisk in the egg yolks, then gradually whisk in the Key lime juice. Fold in the 2 beaten egg whites. Empty the mixture into the graham cracker crust.
- Set pie on a baking sheet and bake on center rack for 20 minutes. Let cool at room temperature for about an hour, then chill for 4 hours or until very cold.
- Before serving, cover with sweetened whipped cream or pipe it around the edges
To make neat cuts, set the cold pie in about a half inch of hot water to loosen the cold butter in the crust.
This recipe makes a thick and very crumbly crust. For a less crumbly crust, you can follow the directs as written, but use
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
5 tablespoons butter, melted
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/09/key-lime-pie/