Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
Total time: 1 hour 10 mins
Apricot-Orange Shortbread Bars (Adapted from Julia Hasson's recipe in Bon Appetit)
- 1 cup (240 ml) apricot preserves
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier)
- 1 cup (230 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (145 grams) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) almond extract
- 2 cups (250 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) salt
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) almond paste (from 7-ounce roll), crumbled
- 1/2 cup (40 grams) sliced almonds, divided
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. F (165 C) Line a 9x9 inch pan with parchment. If making half batch, use a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Combine preserves and orange juice; Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, crumble up almond paste and set that aside as well.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar and almond extract. By hand, stir in flour and salt.
- Scoop out 1 cup of the flour mixture and add to the bowl with almond paste. Mix this together to form topping. Add the sliced almonds.
- Press remaining flour mixture into bottom of lined pan. Spread apricot/orange mixture over top. Crumble flour/almond paste/almond mixture over filling.
- Bake for about 1 hour at 325 degrees F. Cut into 32 bars
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2005/11/chewy-chocolate-cherry-cookies-and-apricot-orange-bars/