|Creamy Lemon Blueberry Bars |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Creamy Lemon Blueberry Bars
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups oats (quick cooking)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 can 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 cups room-temp blueberries, washed, drained, patted dry
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch metal baking pan. (Line with foil or parchment if desired)
- Combine the flour, both sugars, salt and baking soda in bowl of a food processor and pulse to mix. Add butter and pulse until mixture is coarse and crumbly. Add oats and pulse to mix.
- Press about 2/3 of the crumb mixture into the pan and set remainder aside. Bake crust for 12 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare filling.
- Whisk the condensed milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and egg yolks together in a medium bowl and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Arrange blueberries evenly over the crust; pour lemon mixture over the blueberries. Spread gently with a spatula to distribute as evenly as possible. Bake until the lemon mixture just begins to form a shiny skin; 7 to 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle reserved topping over the lemon layer, then sprinkle pecans over topping. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let the bars cool in the pan on a rack until just warm, about an hour. When cool, transfer to refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours. The longer the chill time, the better they’ll be.
- Cut into about 24 bars
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2008/06/creamy-lemon-blueberry-bars/