|Not-The-Neiman-Marcus Cookie |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 12 mins
Total time: 22 mins
Recipe similar to the old Neiman Marcus urban legend cookie
- 2 1/2 cups oats
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2/3 cup (4 ounces) butterscotch morsels
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- Spread the oats on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F. for about 8 minutes or until toasted. Repeat with the walnuts, baking for 7 minutes or until toasted. Let oats and nuts cool completely.
- Raise the oven's heat to 375 degrees F.
- Grind the oats in a food processor blender and chop the nuts. Grind the butterscotch morsels.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add both sugars and continue beating until creamy. Beat in the vanilla. Reduce speed to medium low and beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the baking soda and baking powder.
- When completely mixed, add the flour gradually, stirring by hand, until incorporated. Stir in the ground oats, chopped nuts and ground butterscotch morsels.
- Divide the dough into 32 even sections and roll into balls. At this point, you can bake the cookies right away, or put the shaped balls into a freezer bag and freeze until ready to use.
- Arrange about 8 dough balls on a large, ungreased cookie sheet. Press down slightly to make circles.
- Bake one center rack at 375 for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies appear set and light brown around the edges. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to a rack and let cool completely.
These taste best when completely cooled and set.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/09/not-the-neiman-marcus-cookie/