|Chocolate Chip Cookies with All-Bran |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 12 mins
Total time: 22 mins
Chocolate chip cookies with a little extra fiber
- 1/2 cup All-Bran cereal
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, preferably grapeseed oil
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (11.2 ounces)**
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or 1/4 tsp if using salted butter
- 2 cups extra dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup toasted and chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick foil.
- In a small bowl, combine the bran cereal and water. Set aside and allow bran to soften.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter, oil and both sugars until creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the vanilla.
- Stir the softened bran into the batter.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt, and gradually add the flour mixture to the batter, stirring by hand or using lowest speed of mixer.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Using a level tablespoon, shape dough into balls and arrange about 2 1/2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 13 minutes on center rack (they should be golden brown and appear set).
- Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
I used a full teaspoon of salt and while I liked the sweet/salty flavor, but 3/4 teaspoon is a safer bet if you don't like a hint of salt in each bite. If you use salted butter or margarine, reduce the salt to 1/4 teaspoon.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/09/all-bran-cereal-box/