|Double Chocolate Apple Butter Bread |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
A rich double chocolate bread made with Greek yogurt, chocolate chips and nuts
- 1 3/4 cup (7.9 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup apple butter, I used Smucker's
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain yogurt, vanilla would probably be okay, I used Voskos nonfat
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x5 inch or 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch metal loaf pan with flour-added baking spray.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the apple butter, oil and sugar together until smooth. Add the eggs one by one, then whisk in the vanilla and the yogurt until smooth.
- Whisk in the flour, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scrape batter into the loaf pan and sprinkle nuts across the top.
- Bake on center rack for 50 to 60 minutes or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for about an hour, then remove from pan and let cool completely before serving.
My favorite loaf pan is an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan, and it's what I used for this bread. It worked well, but I think next time I'd do it in a 9x5 inch loaf pan. If you use a 9x5 inch loaf pan, the bread will probably be done in 45 or 50 minutes. If you put all the batter in the smaller sized loaf pan (like I did), it will probably take an hour. If your oven runs hot and you know it, you might want to bake this at 325 until done.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/10/double-chocolate-apple-butter-bread/