Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 240 mins
Total time: 4 hours 10 mins
An easy pie made with canned pumpkin and ice cream.
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (from 1 sleeve)
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 cups good quality vanilla ice cream**
- 2/3 cup pumpkin, not pie filling
- 3 1/2 tablespoons tightly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping
- Caramel sundae sauce for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, process graham crackers to make 1 1/2 cups. Add sugar, salt and melted butter and pulse until mixed. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9 inch glass pie dish. Set on a cookie sheet and bake for 7 minutes. Let cool completely.
- To make the filling, allow the ice cream to soften at room temperature. While it's softening, combine the pumpkin, brown sugar and spices in a small saucepan. Heat over medium just until mixture gets very hot (the point is to dissolve the brown sugar somewhat). Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, stir together the softened ice cream and the pumpkin mixture. Transfer to the cooled graham crust and put in the freezer for 3 hours or until solid. Spread sweetened whipped cream over top and return to freezer for another hour or long enough to freeze the whipped cream.
- Before serving, allow pie to sit at room temperature for about 10 to 15 minutes to soften. I like to set it on a dishtowel soaked with hot water to help loosen the crust from the pie dish. While pie sits, drizzle with caramel sauce.
I haven't tested this with low fat or slow churned ice cream, but based on past experience, I would recommend sticking with full fat ice cream. Sometimes the low fat times have an icy texture when thawed and re-frozen. You don't have to use a super premium brand, though. I just don't recommend low fat for this one.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/10/pumpkin-ice-cream-pie/