|Caramel Filled Oatmeal Walnut Bars |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 50 mins
An oatmeal coconut bar with caramel and chocolate chips in the middle.
- 3/4 cup (3.4 ounces) flour, stir and aerate before scooping or weigh
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup plus a tablespoon old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup very lightly packed angel flake coconut
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Kraft caramel bits
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped and toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with nonstick foil or line with regular foil and spray foil with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and both sugars. Stir very well, then stir in the oats and coconut.
- Mix the melted butter and vanilla, then pour into flour mixture and stir until blended and kind of crumbly. Measure out about a cup of flour mixture, then press the rest tightly in the pan to cover bottom.
- In a microwave-safe bowl or Pyrex measuring cup, combine the caramel bits and cream. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir and continue to microwave on high, stirring every 10 seconds, until completely melted. Spread melted caramel over oat crust. Sprinkle nuts and chocolate chips over oat crust, then sprinkle reserved oat mixture over the top.
- Bake on center rack for about 30 to 35 minutes, laying a sheet of foil loosely over top during last 10 minute to prevent over-brownies.. Let cool completely, then lift from pan and cut into squares.
If you double, use a 9x13 inch metal pan.
For a cleaner cut, chill before slicing. Keep in mind that if you do this, the bars will get become very firm in the refrigerator. Cut while firm, then bring to room temperature before serving.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/11/caramel-filled-oatmeal-walnut-bars/