Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 100 mins
Total time: 1 hour 50 mins
Vegetarian chili made with SooFoo
- 1 cup SooFoo
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 2/3 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped red & green peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder (such as Gebhardt)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Prepare the SooFoo as directed on the back of package using 1 cup SooFoo, 2 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon of oil. This should take about an hour in a rice cooker.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat the oil to medium. Add onions and peppers and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin and saute for another 3 minutes, then stir in the chili powder, carrots, tomato sauce, broth and honey. Cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked SooFoo and stir well. Add pepper to taste. Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes or until ready to eat.
I like adding a little honey to bring out the natural sweetness of the tomato sauce, but feel free to leave it out.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/11/vegetarian-chili-with-soofoo/