Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 55 mins
An 8 inch coconut layer cake
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (6.8 oz)** -- spoon and sweep
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (not lite) (Taste of Thai or Thai Kitchen)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1-2 tablespoons milk or cream
7 Minute Icing:
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 teaspoon cream of tartar or 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- Sweetened coconut flakes (1 cup) -- optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8 inch round metal cake pans.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together 2 or 3 times. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl. When light and fluffy, beat in eggs, one at a time, beating 30 seconds after each egg. Beat in vanilla.
- Stir the flour mixture and coconut milk into the batter in three parts, alternating between flour and coconut milk. Do this with lowest speed of mixer or preferably, a mixing spoon.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans and bake for 22-24 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then flip onto a rack and cool completely.
- While cakes cook and cool, prepare filling. Mix together sugar, sour cream, coconut and milk. Keep chilled until ready to use.
- Make the 7-Minute Icing.
- Combine sugar, cream of tartar or corn syrup, salt, water, and egg whites in the top of a double boiler. Beat with a hand-held electric mixer for 1 minute. Place pan over boiling water, being sure that boiling water does not touch the bottom of the top pan. Beat constantly on high speed with electric mixer for 7 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Stir in the coconut if using.
If you have self-rising flour, omit the baking powder and salt and use self-rising
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2008/07/small-coconut-layer-cake/