|Easy Chocolate Caramel Filled Bars |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Buttery shortbread bars with a layer of chocolate covered caramel in the center.
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (4.5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 scant teaspoon Kosher salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup old fashioned or quick oats, not instant
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 9 squares of Ghirardelli Chocolate Caramel Squares or 3 circles of candy apple caramel melted with a tablespoon of cream**
- 2 tablespoons (approximately) miniature chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with foil and spray foil with cooking spray or just line it with nonstick foil.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave-safe dish, then remove from heat and let cool.
- Thoroughly stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar and the oats.
- Whisk the egg yolk and vanilla into the cooled melted butter, then pour into dry mixture and stir until crumbly. Reserve about 1 cup of the mixture and put it in the refrigerator to chill (it's easier to crumble evenly if it's cold). Press remaining into the pan.
- Unwrap the chocolate squares and arrange them in an even layer across the dough.
- Crumble the reserved dough over the top.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, then let cool completely at room temperature (or chill to speed things up). Sprinkle on chips or nuts if using.
- Lift from pan and cut into 16 squares or 8 bars.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2013/01/easy-chocolate-caramel-bars/