|Caramel Apple Wrap Chocolate Caramel Filled Bars |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 22 mins
Total time: 32 mins
Buttery shortbread bars with a layer of caramel in the center.
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 cup plus 3 1/2 teaspoons (5.5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Just shy of 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 caramel apple wrap circles
- 2 tablespoons (approximately) miniature chocolate chips or chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with foil and spray foil with cooking spray or just line it with nonstick foil.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave-safe dish, then remove from heat and let cool.
- Stir the flour, baking soda, salt and sugar together in the mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the egg yolk, vanilla and melted butter, then pour into dry mixture and stir until crumbly. Put 1 cup of the mixture in the refrigerator (chilling it a bit helps make it easier to crumble). Press remaining into the pan.
- Unwrap the caramel circles and lay them over the dough.
- Crumble the reserved dough over the caramel and sprinkle chocolate chips or nuts on the top.
- Bake on center rack for 20 to 23 minutes. Let cool completely at room temperature. For a cleaner cut, chill for about an hour or until firm and cold.
- Lift from pan and cut into squares or bars
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2013/01/caramel-bars/