Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
A reliable and delicious old pie recipe from Pillsbury
- 1 unbaked pie crust (9 inch)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp instant coffee granules or instant espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, mix sugar, flour, instant coffee, cinnamon and salt. In large bowl, beat eggs with electric mixer on high speed until light in color. Beat in sugar mixture. Beat in buttermilk, vanilla, butter and chocolate until well combined (filling may look curdled). Pour into crust-lined pan. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set and crust is deep golden brown. After 15 to 20 minutes of baking, cover edge of crust with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Transfer to refrigerator to chill.
I like to chill this pie a bit before serving, even though it is not required.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2013/01/vienna-chocolate-pie-2/