|Carrot Cupcakes with Pureed Carrots |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 24 mins
Total time: 34 mins
Cupcakes made with a mixture of butter and oil and a mixture of granulated and dark brown sugar
- 1 8 oz can crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup assorted (golden, flame, etc.) raisins
- 2 cups (9 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated or organic sugar**
- 1/3 cup tightly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup canola or grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup melted and browned butter
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup toasted and chopped pecans (walnuts okay, too)
- 1 cup (not too firmly packed) sweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pureed or well-mashed cooked carrots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 to 27 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- Drain the pineapple, reserving the juice. Put the raisins in the pineapple juice to soak, then pat the rest of the pineapple as dry as possible using paper towels.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add oil, butter, eggs, and vanilla and stir until well mixed. Stir in nuts, coconut, carrots, and your drained pineapple. Drain the raisins and add them. The batter should be really thick.
- Divide equally among the cupcake cups. They should be filled a little more than 3/4 full, because these don't rise very much.
- Bake on center rack for 20 to 24 minutes or until cupcakes are set. Let cool completely, then ice with cream cheese frosting.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat together 8 oz softened cream cheese and 4 oz softened butter. Stir in 2-3 cups powdered sugar and beat until light, then add a teaspoon of vanilla and a dash of fresh lemon juice.
Organic sugar or "evaporated cane juice crystals" has a little more flavor than regular granulated and is a darker color.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2013/04/new-favorite-carrot-cupcake/