|Terrific Bake Sale Cookies! Whole and Oats Cookies from Whole Grain Vegan Baking |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 14 mins
Total time: 24 mins
Large vegan cookies that are perfect for bake sales.
- 256 g (1 cup) any natural nut butter or seed butter, such as smooth or crunchy natural peanut butter (I used Jif Natural)
- 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) neutral-flavored oil (I used canola)
- 120 g (1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) organic turbinado sugar or organic evaporated cane juice
- 120 g (1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) Sucanat (found at Whole Foods)
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) vegan milk, more if needed (almond milk, soy)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 240 g (2 cups) whole wheat pastry flour
- 160 g (2 cups) old-fashioned oats or quick cooking Oats (Quick cooking worked really well
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 50 g (1⁄2 cup) chopped pecans (I used salted peanuts)
- 80 g (1⁄2 cup) raisins or dried cherries (I used large dark chocolate chips)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C, or gas mark 5).
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the nut butter, oil, sugars, milk, and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, salt,pecans, and cherries.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to combine. Add extra milk, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) at a time, if the cookie dough is too dry and crumbly. It needs to be moist enough to hold together easily when pinched, without being too wet. Pack a 1⁄4-cup measure with dough (approximately 90 g per cookie, weight will vary with add-ins), place the dough on the sheet, and flatten slightly, because the cookies won’t spread much while baking. Repeat with the remaining dough, placing 7 cookies on each sheet.
- Bake for 14 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown around the edges. Leave the cookies on the baking sheet for minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container, at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2013/05/terrific-bake-sale-cookies-whole-and-oats-cookies-from-whole-grain-vegan-baking/