|Chewy Walnut Granola Bars |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
A chewy granola bar with lots of walnuts! This one is from the California Walnut Commission.
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose unbleached flour (whole wheat or white)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cups coarsely chopped California Walnuts (I toasted mine)
- 1/4 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (I used flaked sweetened)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds ( I used 2 tablespoons flax seeds)
- 1/4 cup dried apricots
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, cut into small pieces or use unsalted and add a pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with parchment paper.
- In bowl, stir together the together oats, brown sugar, flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir in walnuts, cherries, chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds, coconut and sesame (or flax) seeds; set aside.
- In food processor, (a mini is okay) process apricots until broken up, about 1 minute. Add butter, process until a paste forms, about 1 minute. With motor running, pour in honey until well blended. If using a mini processor/chopper, just add the honey and process for a few seconds.
- Fold apricot mixture into oat mixture until well combined. Pat evenly into prepared baking pan. Press down as firmly as you can.
- Bake in the center of oven until golden, about 25 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely (don't even think about cutting while hot). Cut into bars.
Source: California Walnut Commission
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2013/05/chewy-walnut-granola-bars/