Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 360 mins
Total time: 6 hours 10 mins
Pineapple dessert made with vanilla wafers, egg, butter and whipped cream. This version is a little different than the others.
- Butter for greasing baking pan
- 5 ounces (about 35) vanilla wafers, crushed to make about 1 1/4 cups crumbs
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 1 small can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, drained dry
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened (I used salted)
- 1 large egg, pasteurized type if possible
- Toasted and chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Rub an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch or 9x5 inch loaf pan generously with butter.
- Sprinkle half of the crumbs over the bottom of the pan and press down tightly.
- In a mixing bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the cream until stiff peaks form. Beat in half of the vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the confectioners’ sugar. Fold in the drained pineapple and set aside.
- In a second mixing bowl, beat the softened butter and remaining 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar until creamy. Beat in egg and remaining vanilla.
- Pour half of the egg mixture over the crumbs (you don't have to cover them completely), then carefully spread half of the whipped cream/pineapple mixture over the egg mixture.
- Make a second layer by sprinkling on remaining crumbs, pouring on remaining egg mixture, and carefully spreading a top layer of whipped cream/pineapple mixture.
- Chill for about 8 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, sprinkle top with toasted and crushed walnuts. Cut into squares and serve.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2013/05/pineapple-icebox-cake/