|Pretzel Cashew Seven Layer Bars |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 45 mins
A version of Seven Layer Bars made without condensed milk.
- 1 cup finely crushed salted pretzels (measure after crushing)**
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (I used unsalted)
- 1/2 cup each semi-sweet chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and cashews.
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Combine crushed pretzels, 2 tablespoons of sugar and the butter; mixing until well blended. Press onto bottom of pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool 15 minutes (this is important).
- Sprinkle cooled baked crust with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and nuts.
- Combine heavy whipping cream, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon brown sugar (also add vanilla, if using); mixing until well blended. Spoon evenly over bars so that it kind of sinks into the coconut.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until coconut is lightly browned and chips start to melt. Cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes, then chill until very firm.
- Lift from pan by grasping foil or parchment, set on a cutting board, cut into bars.
I ground the pretzels in a mini chopper. If you don't have a chopper you can put the pretzels in a heavy duty freezer bag and crush with a rolling pin. I also put the coconut on before pouring the cream mixture over to give the cream something to soak into. Not sure if that matters, but putting the coconut on first worked well.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2013/06/pretzel-cashew-seven-layer-bars/