|Toasted Oat and Quinoa Bars |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Granola bars made with quinoa, oats, cashews and dried cranberries.
- 1/3 cup tri-color quinoa
- 1/3 cup oats, quick cooking or old fashioned (not instant)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup finely chopped roasted nuts (cashews or a mixture of cashews and almonds)
- 2 or 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x5 inch metal pan with nonstick foil. Alternatively you can use regular foil and grease it or you can use parchment. Set aside.
- Rinse the quinoa using your favorite method. I like to put it in a bowl, cover it with water, dump it all into a sieve, then rinse some more.
- Drain the quinoa and spread it on a foil lined baking sheet. Add the oatmeal to the baking sheet and bake the two together for 5 minutes. Add the coconut and nuts to the baking sheet and continue to toast for another 5 minutes. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- In a saucepan, combine the coconut oil, brown sugar, peanut butter, honey and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the hot peanut butter mixture over the oats and add the vanilla and salt. Stir until well blended, then press tightly into the pan.
- Bake for 18 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature, then chill for several hours. Lift from pan and cut into slices.
This recipe was designed for a large, 9x5 inch loaf pan -- preferably one that doesn't slant outwards too much, as you want a pretty flat and wide bottom to press the bars into.
For a 9 inch square pan, double the recipe.
For a 9x13 inch pan, triple the recipe.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2013/06/toasted-quinoa-cashew-cranberry-bars/