|Maple Cashew Caramel Corn |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Caramel corn made with maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter plus more for greasing pan
- 11 cups popped popcorn (I used air popped)
- 1 cup cashews or other mixed nuts
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (Morton)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Rub a large roasting pan generously with butter or spray with cooking spray.
- Spread the popcorn in the roasting pan and stir in the nuts.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan set over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar, maple syrup, and salt. Bring to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and carefully stir in vanilla and baking soda. Mixture should bubble up into a light brown foam. Pour over popcorn.
- Using a heat proof scraper or a wooden spoon, fold the sugar mixture over the popcorn until it is coated.
- Bake on lower rack of oven for 45 minutes, stirring and breaking up clumps with a spoon every 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. At this point it won't be completely crisp, but will crisp as it cools. Let cool completely.
- Makes about 12 cups
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2013/07/maple-cashew-caramel-corn/