|Basic White Bread Without a Bread Machine |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 165 mins
Total time: 3 hours 15 mins
A basic white bread perfect for sandwiches and toast.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 5 teaspoons of unsalted butter
- 3 to 3 ½ cups of (about 13.5 oz plus more if needed) bread flour
- 5 teaspoons of granulated sugar
- 1 1/8 teaspoon salt, Morton Kosher**
- 1 1/8 teaspoon of yeast (half a packet) active dry yeast
- In a microwave-safe liquid measuring cup, combine the water, milk and butter. Microwave for 1 minute, and then stick a thermometer in the mixture. It should be about 125 degrees or hotter. If it’s hotter, let it cool down to about 125 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 1 cup of the flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Gradually add the 125 degree liquid mixture to the flour mixture and stir well. Add remaining flour 1 cup at a time until you have a dough that is not too dry, nor too sticky.
- Attach the dough hook to the mixer and knead with the mixer for about 8 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Rub a second bowl with butter. Put the dough in the greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Press it down and pat it into a rectangle. Roll into a cylinder and put the cylinder in a greased and floured 8 ½ by 4 ½ inch loaf pan.
- Put the loaf pan in a warm place and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 45 minutes or until loaf is browned and feels hollow when tapped. Let cool completely, then remove from the pan and slice.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2013/07/basic-white-bread-without-a-bread-machine/