Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Gluten free chewy granola bars made with honey.
- 1 1⁄2 cups (40 g) crispy brown rice cereal (e.g. gluten free Rice Krispies)
- 1⁄2 cup (75 g) whole cashews
- 1⁄2 cup (70 g) whole almonds (I used roasted)
- 1⁄2 cup (75 g) roasted shelled pistachios
- 1⁄2 cup (50 g) whole pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup (135 g) mixture of dried fruits (I used dried cranberries, apricots, cherries)
- 1⁄4 cup (36 g) sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup (28 g) flaxseed meal
- 1⁄4 cup (20 g) flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup (170 g) honey
- 1⁄4 cup (60 g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons (16 g) cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 300°F . Line a 9 inch square metal pan with parchment paper. If making a half batch, use a 9x5 inch loaf pan instead.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cereal, cashews, almonds, pistachios, pecans, dried fruit, sesame seeds, flaxseed meal, and flaked coconut. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the honey, brown sugar, salt, and cornstarch. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and toss until evenly coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Use another piece of parchment paper to press down the mixture so that it is flat and evenly distributed to the corners of the pan. Remove top layer of parchment and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan for several hours.
- Turn the mixture out onto a cutting board, peeling away the parchment paper on the bottom. Using a serrated knife, cut into 16 squares. Store in a zipper-top bag or an airtight container at room temperature for about a week.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2013/08/honey-trail-mix-bars/