|Bev's Hot Milk Sponge Cake Recipe and Boston Cream Pie |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 55 mins
This is one of those recipes where a stand mixer really comes in handy. The reward is light, sweet sponge cake perfect for Boston Cream Pie or serving with fresh fruit and whipped cream.
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 cups (260 grams) cake flour or 2 cups. all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (114 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk, whole or 2% okay
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (Reduce to a pinch of using salted butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and place the rack just below center.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs for 5 minutes or until they’ve tripled in volume. Add sugar and beat for 10 minutes longer. While the sugar and eggs are beating, sift together the flour and the baking powder.
- Combine the butter, milk, and salt in a large glass measuring cup or saucepan and heat just until mixture boils and butter is melted Add the vanilla extract and set aside.
- With mixer on low speed or by hand, mix the flour mixture into the whipped egg mixture.
- Remove about 2 cups of batter and put it in a separate bowl. Stir the hot milk mixture into that batter, then add it all back into the main mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into your chosen pans (or pan) and bake until done.
- -- 9 inch round pans will take about 30 minutes, a 9x13 pan will take about 40 minutes, a jelly roll should only take about 16 to 18 minutes. But watch closely and go buy appearance.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2013/09/bevs-hot-milk-sponge-cake-recipe-and-boston-cream-pie/