Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Chocolate Beet Cake
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used 7.7 oz)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 oz melted unsweetened chocolate
- 1cup pureed, unsalted, canned beats (drain, puree)**
- Small handful of mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13x9 inch metal baking pan with flour added cooking spray or grease using your preferred method.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Beat sugar and eggs together for 1 ½ minutes using high speed of electric mixer. Beat in oil and vanilla; when well mixed, beat in the melted chocolate and beets.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir until well mixed. The batter might seem a little lumpy from the beet puree, but that’s okay.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake on center rack of oven for 25 minutes or until cake tests done. To test for doneness, insert a wooden pick or skewer in center. It should come out clean or with a moist crumb or two. The cake might seem almost too moist, but it firms up as it cools and mellows out.
- Let cool completely. If you have the time, let sit over night and serve the next day.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2008/08/chocolate-beet-cake/